Leyton Orient registered their first National League victory of the season at a raucous Brisbane Road, with a convincing 3-1 win over Solihull Moors in a confident and dominant display from start to finish.

The only minor blemish on the evening’s proceedings was the fact the hosts failed to christen Brisbane Road’s National League introduction with an even bigger margin of victory that their performance definitely merited.

Nevertheless a win is a win, and Orient certainly delivered the sort of reaction their head coach would have demanded with plenty of chances and goals to boot.

O’s boss Steve Davis kept faith, as he hinted he might, with the same formation and starting eleven that lost at Sutton United on Saturday, despite the measly fact that Orient had just one shot on target - a statistic they matched after just seven minutes here.

Orient were successful in landing a momentum boosting first National League victory, but in truth their opponents represented something of an unknown quantity after Solihull Moors’ opening game against Chester was called off at the eleventh hour on Friday owing to safety concerns.

Playing in front of a rejuvenated home support sporting their highest season ticket numbers in 16 years was always likely to lift the Orient players.

And the O's do not have the feel of a club down on their luck following relegation, something which seemed to translate to the players who were in confident mood in E10.

Perhaps the only disappointment was the fact Orient were not home and dry by half-time having created a series of chances, only for misfortune to befall them on more than one occasion.

Three Orient players, Jobi McAnuff, Macauley Bonne and James Dayton, all struck the woodwork in the opening half an hour.

It took just a matter of minutes, however, for the hosts to register a shot on target having had to wait 73 minutes for their solitary one on Saturday.

The impressive David Mooney, something of a cult hero in these parts, was in inspired mood all evening and he stung the palms of on-loan Birmingham City goalkeeper Connal Trueman after just seven minutes.

Solihull had to survive a scare just moments later when McAnuff’s teasing corner was cleverly flicked across the face of goal by Bonne, only for no O’s attacker to gamble and tap it home.

That man McAnuff, quiet on Saturday but anything but tonight, became the first unfortunate Orient player to strike the corner of post and bar.

It owed much to the hard work of captain Charlie Lee who controlled a loose ball, and when he found McAnuff on the left hand side there was only one thing in his mind.

The experienced 35-year-old, now in his second spell with the O’s, was afforded far too much time to open up his body and unleash a lashing drive in the 12th minute that had Trueman well and truly beaten.

Orient were not finished there. With the bit between their teeth and sensing the opportunity to grab the opener, the hosts began to turn the screw.

Mooney’s speculative 25-yard effort that narrowly crashed wide just got things started, before Bonne hit the base of the post having been neatly slipped through by Alex Lawless.

Charlie Grainger’s first taste of the action was not worthy of note in truth, as he comfortably collected Luke Benbow’s loopy effort.

That was a mere footnote in the grand scheme of things as Orient finally registered the goal their early dominance deserved.

An in-swinging corner by McAnuff caused trouble for Trueman who had to negotiate the crowd of bodies in front of him.

Unfortunately for Solihull his attempted punch fell right at the feet of skipper Lee who reacted instinctively to find the bottom right hand corner after 21 minutes, Orient’s first goal in non-league football for 112 years.

Admittedly it wasn’t the prettiest of strikes with Lee toe-punting an effort that seemed to dribble over the line, but Orient were not likely to care after registering their debut strike of the new season and the first under their new head coach.

The visitors had a rather meek shout for a penalty waved away by referee Carl Brook after Afolayan Oladapo hit the deck following minimal contact.

But it was all Orient as they searched for what you felt would be a decisive second goal. And, after 29 minutes, they were again a post’s width away from finding it.

Solihull captain Darren Carter was beaten for pace by the lively Mooney who committed the former Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion midfielder into giving away a cheap free-kick.

It looked likely that Dayton would try to pick out a teammate but he audaciously went for goal himself, only to see his effort crash back off the post via a slight deflection from the hand of Trueman.

That intervention surely saved a goal, though Solihull were fortunate to escape a second time once the ball cannoned back into the danger zone.

Undeterred by that misfortune, Bonne tried the spectacular when picked out by a long ball over the top.

Sensing that Trueman was off his line, the former Colchester United attacker dinked the ball up and over the Solihull goalkeeper though the ball fell narrowly wide on this occasion.

Orient looked comfortable for the most part with Grainger a spectator for long spells in the first half but they did look nervy on a couple of occasions at the back, the only real cause for concern in a period they dominated.

A hospital back-pass from Joe Widdowson nearly proved to the architect of Orient’s downfall, only for the alert Grainger to win the race with Oladapo and pounce on the loose ball. This though was the O’s game to lose.

They had to wait just two minutes into the second half for the crucial second that had hitherto evaded them.

It stemmed from good work by man-of-the-match Jake Caprice down the right and, when he delivered a dart of a ball into the box, Mooney was on hand to poke home beyond Trueman for 2-0 – and get him off the mark in his second spell at Brisbane Road.

Solihull huffed and puffed seemingly without ever threatening – ironically similar to the O’s on Saturday – as they struggled to test Grainger between the sticks.

Benbow had a thankless task in trying to get the better of a largely disciplined Orient rearguard, without the sort of supply all centre forwards thrive on.

And after 63 minutes Solihull had Kalern Thomas to thank for a tremendous bit of defending to deny Orient a certain third.

Dayton’s superb cross from the right was attacked all the way by Bonne who must have thought he had done enough to turn it home only for Thomas to take the ball away from his feet in the nick of time with a diving lunge.

Then, Bonne’s clearest sight of goal in the second half was well saved by Trueman who reacted well to palm away his flicked effort in the next passage of play. This was one way traffic.

Orient were now in their groove and playing some slick passing football of the variety Davis promised when he arrived in east London just under a month ago.

But it looked as if we were going to be treated to an unlikely grandstand finish. Neat combination play by Liam McDonald’s side ended with the lively Oladapo firing home from close range to give the Moors a glimmer of hope after 77 minutes.

However, Orient’s response was emphatic and immediate. Dayton’s corner fell kindly for George Elokobi who bundled the ball home almost from the restart. 3-1 with twelve minutes to go and the result looked a formality.

Mooney’s shot on the turn from another McAnuff delivery soon afterwards nearly put the gloss on a comprehensive and efficient home display for the O’s.

Solihull should had added a second from a driving corner as Jack Edwards passed up a gilt-edged back-post header despite being unmarked, a goal that would have set up a nervy finish.

And Oladapo nearly had his second moments later as Orient began to tire, robbing Caprice and then curling an effort narrowly wide of the far post as the visitors finished strongly.

But this was Orient’s night as they delivered a comprehensive display to get the better of Solihull Moors at an atmospheric Matchroom Stadium that resembled more of a promotion party than maiden National League home game.

It was a performance that will provide plenty of encouragement for Saturday’s visit of Maidstone United, on a night where Orient could and perhaps should have won by more.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Caprice, Coulson, Elokobi, Widdowson; Dayton (Koroma 90), Lee (Clay 76), Lawless, McAnuff (Boco 86); Mooney, Bonne.

Not used: Sargeant, Clark.