The man who was shot in Old Shire Lane, Waltham Abbey, has now died, police have said.

They have launched a murder investigation into the incident.

Officers were alerted just before 9.50am that a man had been seen with a gun and shots were being fired in the car park of the Marriott Hotel on Old Shire Lane.

Police attended and a man, believed to be in his 20s was found injured.

The road remains closed at the junction of Honey Lane.

Ambulance paramedics treated the victim but he was sadly declared dead at the scene.

Armed officers have secured the location and detectives are currently speaking to witnesses to establish the exact circumstances of what happened. 

No-one has been arrested at this time and enquiries are ongoing.

Essex Police are also liaising with the Metropolitan Police and other surrounding police forces. 

Chief Superintendent Luke Collison said: "Essex Police has mobilised a number of officers including armed units in response to this incident.

"At this time there is no evidence to suggest that there is any threat to the wider public or any link to terrorism.

"We will be constantly reassessing the information we receive as the investigation progresses to ensure that the safety of the public remains paramount.

"If anyone was at the hotel or in the area of Old Shire Lane area at the time of the shooting and has information of use to our enquiry I would urge them to contact us on 101."

Armed police officers and air ambulance paramedics are currently at the Volunteer pub in Honey Lane.

A police spokeswoman confirmed the scene, around a two-minute drive from the Marriott Hotel, is linked to the murder.

The road is closed at the junction with Forest Side, and the pub is surrounded by a number of police vehicles.

One man was driving past the Volunteer shortly after 10am.

He said: "There was a grey people-carrier in the car park and there was a woman police officer with protective gloves on looking down into the footwell with horror.

"The door was wide open and she was looking at that in horror."

Another man said: "I have been here since 20 past 10, so I have been here two hours and 20 minutes. 

"There were armed police and probably 10 or 11 cop cars."

People living close to the scene of the shooting in Old Shire Lane reacted with shock to what happened. 

Marguerit Hutchins, 66, of Horseshoe Close, said: "We did see a helicopter about an hour ago but we thought it was further down the motorway that it landed.

"I am in shock.

"What a shame, it is dreadful."

Were you at the Marriott Hotel or near the Volunteer pub earlier this morning? Get in touch with our reporter Joseph Flaig by phoning 07795 316 211 or emailing