A blaze broke out in a house after logs stored beside a fireplace caught alight.

Fire crews were called to a home in Bell Common, Epping, at around 7.40 yesterday evening (Sunday, November 12).

On arrival, crews reported that around half of the two-storey home's ground floor was filled with smoke.

While the blaze had spread to the living room wall around the fireplace, firefighters were able to prevent it from becoming any more serious.

The fire was extinguished by 8.15pm.

Derek Whitbread, watch manager at Epping Fire Station, said: "At this time of year, many of us enjoy using log fires in our homes - but this incident goes to show the importance of taking care when using them.

"The residents of this property were storing logs near to the fireplace, ready to be used to keep the fire going later in the evening.

"Our advice is to make sure you keep anything flammable - particularly fuel for fire - well away from the fireplace when it's in use and to never leave it unattended while it’s burning.

"Despite that, the owners responded perfectly once they noticed the spare logs had ignited- they got out, stayed out and called the fire service out."

Fire engines from Epping and Loughton stations attended the incident. The home was left with minor smoke damage.