The London Fire Brigade has issued safety advice to smokers after a discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a flat fire.

London’s fire service today published a checklist for smokers after a fire at a shop below some flats in Broughton Place in Walthamstow is believed to have begun with a cigarette.

The Brigade was called at 6.52pm on July 2. The fire was under control by 8.28pm.

Part of the flats on the first, second and third floor were damaged, and one woman was recued from the first floor and one man from the fourth.

The Brigade believes the cause of the fire was due to the unsafe disposal of smoking material, such as cigarettes.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.

"If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

"If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life."

The advice is:

  • Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children's reach.
  • Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.
  • Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold.
  • If you must smoke, do it outdoors.

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters from Walthamstow, Tottenham, Leytonstone and Edmonton fire stations attended the scene.