A broke out in a double garage which resulted in four fire engines to attend the incident on Saturday night.

The owner of the garage spotted smoke coming out of the facility on Church Lane, Loughton in the early hours of the morning and called 999.

Firefighters from Loughton, Waltham Abbey, Brentwood and Harlow were called to tackle the blaze.

By the time fire crews arrived, the garage which was below a first-floor flat was filled with smoke and a neighbouring detached house also affected by the incident.

Station manager Steve Wintrip, said: "This fire was well developed when the first fire crews arrived and it looked like it could spread out of control and to the flat and house.

“However, firefighters worked extremely hard and quickly and managed to attack the fire successfully to extinguish it and stop the fire spreading any further than the ground floor of the garage where the fire had started. The flat above and the house were saved due to the firefighters actions."

The cause of the fire was found to be accidental.