Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire which broke out in a house this morning.

Loughton and London Fire Brigade firefighters were called to Oakwood Hill, Loughton, at 9.24 am to discover smoke coming from a pan on a hob was on fire.

Firefighters managed to quickly extinguish the blaze using a dry powder extinguisher and cleared the smoke from the property using a high-powered fan.

Acting watch manager Bradley Reynolds, Loughton Fire Station, said: "The occupant of the house had turned the hob on, and a pan which had some leftover oil in it quickly heated up and caught alight.

“Instead of immediately getting out of the house, the occupant put water on the pan which caused a flash of fire which caught the extractor fan alight.

"Putting water on a hot oil fire is the worst thing to do. Thankfully the occupant was not hurt, but this type of fire can cause serious injury and devastating damage to your home.

"Our advice if anyone has a fire is to get out, stay out and call the fire service out. This incident also shows the importance of working smoke alarms.

“Although the property had smoke alarms fitted, they had been covered up. We would never recommend covering up smoke alarm, no matter what the reason (i.e. dust from building works).

“Smoke alarms can only help save your life if they are in full working order".

Essex Fire will provide and fit smoke alarms completely free of charge. Contact them by calling 0300 303 0088 or visit