A coroner’s report confirmed that a man was killed after being hit by a train that was out searching for him.

Jamie Lee Roberts, 27, was struck by just 500 yards from Theydon Bois Station on Thursday, April 11.

At 9.11pm, British Transport Police were notified of a trespasser at Epping Station had walked down the tracks just three minutes later, emergency services were soon called to the scene.

Mr Roberts had been seen earlier that day on CCTV beyond the warning signs at the end of the platform at Epping Station.

An inquest following the 27-year-old’s death was held at Essex Coroner’s Court in Chelmsford today (Tuesday, October 8) with Mr Robert’s mother, sister and aunt in attendance.

Coroner's officer Deborah Frost said: "The train driver stated that Mr Roberts was stood on the track with his back to the train and that he was unable to stop in time.

"Paramedics were called and confirmed his death, the protocol was followed and police confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances."

A mayday call was made by the train driver and shortly after two other Central Line trains left between Epping and Theydon Bois.

The drivers conducted a sweep of the tracks in search of Mr Roberts, travelling at around 15km per hour along the 2.5 miles of train tracks.

A train driver spotted the 27-year-old loitering by the side of the tracks smoking.

One of the trains was forced to perform an emergency stop during the process but sadly, it was one of these trains that fatally hit Mr Roberts.

A post-mortem examination was carried out by Dr Gopinath at The Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow.

Epping Forest Guardian:

Two train drivers travelled at 15km while looking for Mr Roberts on Thursday, April 11

DC Nicola Wood, who works for the British Transport Police's (BTP) major investigation team was the only witness to be called to give evidence at the inquest.

She explained how CCTV showed Mr Roberts was alone when he passed the warning signs at the end of the platform at Epping Station.

"He seems calm, he's not running, he's not being chased," DC Wood explained.

"Mr Alvengara was driving a train which was travelling at about 50km per hour when he saw a person stood on the side of the tracks. This person was stood with their arms by their side.

"The emergency brakes were applied 24 feet from the person and a may day call was made to the line controller.

"The male walked towards Mr Alvengara but no words were exchanged. The person was smoking a cigarette. The male then disappeared out of site.

"The male was described as white, in his 20s, 5ft 11 with brown hair."

Mr Robert’s family claimed that 'he didn't do it on purpose' his mother spoke briefly about her son’s struggles in the lead up to his death.

"In the last year his life was good," she said. "He had work, he booked holidays he had a part in the theatre.

"He had difficulties years previous but he wasn't in a bad place. It doesn't make any sense."

Senior coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray recorded an open conclusion.

"All that means is we just don't know what was going through his mind," she explained.

"You won't be surprised that I have considered suicide - to record suicide I would have to be satisfied that he formed the intention, took a deliberate action knowing that it would result in his death.

"But, I have not recorded suicide, next I then went on to consider accident, was he larking around on the line, did he take a planned action which went horribly wrong?

"We haven't got all the pieces of the jigsaw. He clearly was much-loved seeing you all here today. Not only have you lost him but you have had the ordeal of sitting here today at this inquest and you have done that with dignity."