The family of a cancer-stricken six-year-old-girl who travelled to the USA for life-saving treatment have been forced to live separate due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Edie Jackson, from Waltham Abbey, temporarily relocated with family to New York City earlier this month after crowdfunding raised over £245,000 for private treatment to extend her life.

The youngster was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour known as Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG), just four weeks before Christmas.

It is the deadliest form of childhood cancer with average survival of just eight to 12 months from diagnosis.

Initially, the drugs for Edie’s treatment were delayed in transit due to increased spread of Covid-19 and there was even a risk that the trial would not go ahead at all.

A patient has reportedly been diagnosed with the disease on Edie’s ward and so the hospital is only allowing one parent to stay overnight.

Mum Lois is now staying with Edie, while dad Craig is at a nearby apartment while their son Charlie, ten, and grandmothers, Jean and Gill, flew back to the UK on Saturday, March 21.

Epping Forest Guardian:

Six-year-old Edie Jackson is currently receiving a rare method of chemotherapy in New York following months of fundraising

Edie’s aunt, Emmie Adams, said: “Edie is such an amazing warrior princess and has been incredibly brave throughout.

“She is doing incredibly well and the doctors are generally happy with her progress. However, the current global health crisis, caused by the spread of COVID-19, is creating huge, additional worry for my sister Lois and the whole family. Things are becoming increasingly concerning by the day.”

“Once Edie gets the all-clear from the doctors, we’ll have to try and find a new flight for the three of them. We’re hoping that will be early next week, if things don’t get any worse. It’s a real worry.”

Doctors are highly recommending that Edie’s flight home allows a distance of six feet from fellow passengers other than her parents due her vulnerability.

Her treatment has been a Convection-Enhanced Delivery (CED) trial at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center, a method by which chemotherapy is delivered directly into the tumour.

To minimise the risk of Edie contracting COVID-19, the family is also looking into the possibility of hiring a private plane, which would be hugely expensive.

Shortly after receiving the shock diagnosis, a Facebook group, Edie’s Fight, was set up where to post fundraising events and updates on Edie's progress.

Epping Forest Guardian:

Edie's brother Charlie and grandmothers Jean and Gill have since returned to the UK after the New York Hospital stopped visitors to the hospital amid the coronavirus crisis

Ms Adam added: “At the moment it seems their choices are: potentially putting Edie’s health at risk by boarding a commercial flight, somehow trying to find the money to charter a plane or possibly stay in New York with no way of knowing how long for.

Hugh Adams, head of stakeholder relations for the charity Brain Tumour Research, said: “Edie and her family are in our thoughts at this deeply unsettling time.

“The Jacksons’ situation is a truly extreme example of the way in which people are being impacted by the global health crisis and we wish them all the best and will continue to support them in any way we can, as they strive to get Edie treated and home as soon and as safely as possible.

“The fact that they have to resort to costly private treatment overseas in the first place is just not good enough and we are calling upon the Government and larger cancer charities to address the lack of funding in this crucial area of cancer research.”

To continue to fundraising and following, Edie's progress share Edie's GoFundMe page and join Edie's Fight Facebook group.

Brain Tumour Awareness Month runs throughout March, with Wear A Hat Day on Friday, March 27.

To take part in Wear A Hat Day go to