A family has been left homeless amid the coronavirus pandemic after a fire destroyed their home.

The family home in Five Acres, Harlow, was engulfed in flames after a laptop charger caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the inferno yesterday afternoon.

A spokesperson for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival, crews reported that there was a fire in the bedroom of a house and worked to extinguish it by 4.19pm.

“The fire was caused after a laptop charging on a bed caught fire. Upon seeing the fire, the residents immediately left the house and called the fire service. “

“The house has been destroyed and the family has been rendered homeless.

Steve Harrison, Harlow Fire Station watch manager, added: “The residents did absolutely the right thing by getting out, staying out and calling the Fire Service out.

“Please be careful when charging things like laptops and phones, they can quickly overheat. Make sure to charge them on a flat surface like a table and not on a surface that can catch fire easily like bedding.

“We need you to help us keep you safe, the risk of fire goes up when people are at home more and we’re asking residents to consider home fire safety.”

Epping Forest Guardian:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @EppingFGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Epping Forest.