Fights broke out as large numbers of lockdown-flouting revellers gathered in High Beech.

Following the government’s announcement groups of six would be allowed to congregate from Monday onwards crowds of revellers – who could not wait a few more days – flocked to Queen’s Green on Saturday, May 30.

The green space, outside the Kings Oak Pub, resembled a music festival with widespread drinking and drug use reported on social media.

Shortly after 5pm police arrived at the green following reports of ‘large gatherings and people fighting.'

Footage circulating on social media appears to show a topless man hit two women amid a brawl involving multiple individuals.

Essex Police have confirmed they are aware of the footage and investigating the matter; no arrests were made at the time.

A spokesperson for Essex Police said: “We attended the scene and gave words of advice to people about congregating.

“They were understanding and left the vicinity without issue or the need for enforcement action.

“We have received no reports of any injuries or victims.”

Further footage on social media from later in the evening shows the green littered with laughing gas (nitrous oxide) cannisters, food packaging and empty bottles of alcohol.

A pile of more than ten refuse sacks can be seen abandoned by the car park.

While the crowds had thinned from earlier in the day, a number of stragglers and groups can be seen continuing to drink.

Epping Forest Community Policing Team, in partnership with City of London Corporation Park Rangers, have stepped up patrols in the area following the disturbance.

Anyone with information on the incident can call 101 quoting incident number 882 or can report information by visiting

Alternatively, witnesses can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Epping Forest Guardian:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @EppingFGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Epping Forest.