A woman's flat was badly damaged after candles set fire to her curtains.

Firefighters were called to Stoney Bridge Drive in Waltham Abbey yesterday (Saturday, June 27) at 6.48pm and found a bedroom alight.

The fire, which started when tea lights caused curtains to ignite, was extinguished by 7.15pm but the bedroom was left badly damaged.

The occupant's smoke alarm did not go off, but a smoke alarm in the communal area sounded and neighbours led the woman to safety. She was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Essex Fire watch manager Marc Lemon said: "Please follow our safety advice if you are using candles, keep a close eye on them at all times and keep them away from materials that might catch fire.

"Fortunately, in this case, there was a working smoke alarm in a communal area. Residents alerted the occupant to the danger and helped her out – and she was taken to hospital."

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental.

Epping Forest Guardian:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @EppingFGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Epping Forest.