A women has suffered minor injuries after throwing water on a chip pan fire.

Essex Fire have have issued safety advice following the incident.

Crews were called to reports of a kitchen fire in Willingale Road, Loughton at 8.39pm yesterday (Saturday, June 27).

Although the fire was out when crews arrived they discovered the occupants had thrown water on a chip pan fire – precisely what you should not do.

Watch Manager Marc Lemon said: "The chip pan caught fire but they threw water on it, causing an explosion.

"Thankfully the fire did not spread and the occupant only suffered minor redness on her arms from the heat – but it could have been a lot worse. Please follow our safety advice if you are using a deep fat fryer."

Crews made sure the fire was fully extinguished by 8.55pm. The cause has been recorded as accidental.

Epping Forest Guardian:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @EppingFGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Epping Forest.