A man who burgled a home before dragging an elderly man out of his bed and assaulting him with a baton has been locked up for 17 years.

The victim was left with serious injuries in an incident that saw the burglars steal £20 and a passport.

In May 2018, Amos Wilsher along with two others – who are still at large – broke into a Brentwood home wearing balaclavas and were armed with weapons.

A 75-year-old was assaulted, dragged out of his bed and along the floor and hit in the head with what detectives believe to be a police style baton.

The man’s son was indoors and they were both told to go into one of the rooms before being sprayed with cleaning fluid.

They were threatened with being set on fire if they did not comply.

CCTV footage showed Wilsher running away from the scene; his DNA was found on a bottle in the victim’s home.

A manhunt for Wilsher was launched leading to his arrest in Leicestershire.

Investigating officer Police Sergeant Frankie Cole said: “Wilsher is a dangerous individual who targeted an elderly man while he sat in his bed watching TV.

“Doorbell footage caught him looking for homes to target – with Wilsher later claiming to have distributed leaflets in the area.

“He was unable to explain why he used his elbow to ring a door bell or why his DNA was found inside the crime scene.

“Wilsher subjected a man and his son to a horrific attack before leaving with passports and just £20.

“The elderly victim suffered injuries to his head, which had to be glued together and the ordeal has had an severe impact of both victims.

“There are two other suspects who are outstanding. I know some time has passed but we would urge people with information to call Brentwood CID on 101.”

Wilsher, 27, of New Scott Street, Langwith, Mansfield, will serve a minimum of 12 years along with five years on licence following a hearing at Basildon Crown Court on Monday, June 29.

In his summary, the judge deemed Wilsher dangerous and gave him three months, to run concurrent, for failing to surrender to police.

Following his release, he will have to wear an electronic tag for 203 days.

Epping Forest Guardian:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @EppingFGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Epping Forest.