A fire service has warned residents to swap wax candles to LED after a Loughton candle fire earlier this month.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service warn each year, candles are the cause of more than 300 injuries across the UK.

Firefighters from Loughton and Waltham Abbey Fire were called to a house fire in Alderton Way, on October 3, after the resident heard the fire burning on the landing upstairs.

On arrival, crews reported that first floor in the house was heavily smoke logged after a candle burning on a table had caused a fire.

The property had no working smoke alarms and firefighters fitted two smoke alarms after extinguishing the fire and nobody was injured.

A fire service spokesperson said: “The resident was very lucky that they were awake to hear the candle burning. If this incident had happened at night and the resident did not have working smoke alarms to alert them, this could have been a very different incident.

“We recommend you blow candles out when you need to leave the room, even if it is only for a moment.”

During the colder months, the Service often sees a rise in house fires, often caused by chimneys, candles and families being at home more.

Their main priority this year us to get residents to swap traditional candles for LED / battery candles.

Will Newman, Head of Prevention at Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “While a flickering candle can feel cosy, the naked flame can quickly cause devastation if the candle is left to burn unattended or too near to flammable surfaces like curtains.

“Our top tip this year is to swap your traditional candles for LED / battery candles. These are a low cost, safer and a renewable way to create the same atmosphere and have peace of mind.”