The railway came to Loughton in 1856 and originally terminated near Lopping Hall.

A second station was built some years later further south as part of the extension of the line to Epping and Ongar.

The current Grade II-listed station, seen here in 1953, was opened in 1940 in readiness for London Underground trains.

Epping Forest Guardian:

How the station looks today

Follow Gary Stone on Instagram @loughtonhistory