Pictured above is St John’s Church, Loughton, c1905.

Sited on Church Lane (formerly Blind Lane), the church was built in 1846 and extended in 1877 to its current form.

The Edwardian lychgate is by Duncan Davey, donated by William Chapman Waller.

Epping Forest Guardian: How the church looks today.How the church looks today. (Image: Gary Stone)

Mounted on the churchyard wall is a plaque to Thomas Willingale (1799-1870) who was instrumental in the struggle to save Epping Forest.

  • Follow Gary Stone on Instagram @loughtonhistory