The Prince Albert in South Chingford c1905.

The pub dates back to at least 1859 and remained a landmark at the junction until 1970 when the whole site was redeveloped with a supermarket and car park above and the pub below.

Epping Forest Guardian: A modern-day view of the sceneA modern-day view of the scene (Image: Gary Stone)

The electric tram is on its way to Lea Bridge Road.

  • Follow Gary Stone on Twitter @chingfordhist