Eton Manor began their London 1 North campaign with an excellent 53-10 victory away at Sudbury.

Cameron Dutch took a big haul of the points for his side, scoring three tries, a penalty and a few conversions, while Jamie Millais also ran over twice and there were tries apiece for Ollie Waugh and Jack Sullivan.

Manor kicked off the game playing up the slight slope in the pitch and against a particularly strong breeze, but a flurry of early penalties brought them to within distance of the posts and although kicking into the wind, Dutch opened the scoring after four minutes with a shot that just crept over the bar.

From the restart, Manor were forced to defend and had to try and run out of their 22 with the wind making it difficult to kick from hand. Sudbury forced them into a number of penalty concessions and at the end of their spell of pressure, their centres combined to score to the right of Manor’s posts, with the missed conversion making it 5-3 in the hosts’ favour.

From that point, Manor began to control the play and re-took the lead after some strong extended play from Kirk Chettleburgh, Elliott Brown and Waugh resulted in Millais evading a number of powerful tackles and stretching to just place the ball over the line, with Dutch’s conversion taking it to 10-5.

Dutch then took it upon himself to add the game’s next try, running through for a seven-point score which Manor held until half-time.

In the second half, things continued just as they had finished in the first, and there was soon a further increase in the score as Manor easily scored a penalty.

With two Sudbury players in the sin bin, Manor took advantage of the numerical difference, and Waugh fed the ball to Sullivan when he was stopped just short of the line to go over for another seven points.

Straight from the restart the visitors went and increased their total to 34 when Dutch converted another try, and despite Sudbury doing their best to hit back, Millais once again showed his strength to power through and add his second try of the day, which went unconverted to take the score to 46-5.

Dutch rounded things off for Manor with a final try and conversion as he received the ball, stepped around two defenders and sprinted for the line to make it 53-5.

Although a slight lapse in concentration in trying to play out from the back allowed Sudbury another unconverted try right at the death, it proved to be an easy win in the end for Manor.

The side’s first home game of the season comes this weekend when they welcome Harpenden in the league.