Ross Embleton's time in interim charge of Leyton Orient had the perfect ending as they ran out 4-0 winners away at Grimsby Town.

Defensive pair Dan Happe and Josh Coulson had the O's two to the good with just 21 minutes on the clock.

Although they never looked like surrendering that lead, late goals from James Alabi and Josh Wright made sure of the points.

James Dayton and Marvin Ekpiteta returned to the Orient side, the former making his first start of the season and the latter returning from injury.

After a fairly quiet opening to the game, Orient took the lead on 11 minutes when Dale Gorman floated a ball to the back post that was nodded down by Ekpiteta, and although Happe saw his first effort saved, he was in the right place to bury the rebound.

Only ten minutes later, the lead was doubled in a similar fashion to the opening strike. Again, Grimsby failed to clear their lines from a free-kick, and this time Coulson was on hand to volley home.

The Mariners sought an immediate response, but they were foiled at the other end when Dean Brill got down well to stop Jake Hessenthaler's driven effort.

Brill was made to be alert again at the start of the second half, this time getting a strong palm to Matt Green's close-range volley.

Orient were having chances of their own though, and twice came close to adding a third when substitute Louis Dennis lifted an effort over the bar and Craig Clay's curling effort was well stopped by James McKeown.

The third was to arrive with 10 minutes to go though, as Alabi capped a superb solo run from the halfway line with a composed finish past the keeper.

Shortly after, the game was wrapped up and Alabi was involved again, this time tricking his way into the box before being bundled over, and Wright slotted in his fifth of the season to end the Embleton era with an excellent win.

The win moves the O's into the top half, sitting 12th, ahead of Tuesday's trip to Plymouth Argyle, which will be new head coach Carl Fletcher's first game in charge.