A late penalty consigned Eton Manor to a narrow defeat as Brentwood took the points in a thrilling encounter that ended 21-19 in their favour.

Paddy Sheehy, Cameron Dutch and Jack Sullivan Snr got on the scoresheet for the hosts, but a rampant display from the visitors in the first half proved to be just enough.

Manor kicked off but were very quickly pinned back inside their own half. They rode the pressure well, despite conceding a penalty that was thankfully missed.

That pattern of play continued and it was the visitors who broke the deadlock on the half hour mark. Brentwood worked the ball along their line as Manor tried to hold firm, but Jamie Millais was unable to stop the offload as he brought the full-back down and they crossed for the first try of the game, which was converted.

The away side increased their lead right before half-time when, at a scrum given for a Brentwood knock-on, Manor gave away a penalty in front of the posts that was successfully kicked in to put the visitors 10-0 in front at the interval.

After the restart, Manor finally started to exert some pressure on their opponents, but it was to no avail as the referee instead awarded a penalty rather than a penalty try when Brentwood’s player brought down a driving maul a metre short of the line.

To rub it in, Brentwood went up the other end and extended their lead soon after, working it out wide and scoring in the corner to make it 15-0.

There was a speedy response from the home side though. Good play from Billy Cosma and Sullivan Snr allowed Dutch to take the ball forward and lay it on to Sheehy, and he cut his way through the Brentwood defence before going over for a try that was converted by Dutch.

As expected, the visitors bounced back and added a further three points when the referee awarded a penalty having played an offside advantage.

Manor again bounced back and came to within four points of their opponents when they notched another seven-point score. The ball was recycled to Dutch and he drifted down the blindside of Brentwood’s defenders before crossing from 30 metres out, and then converting his own try.

The home side managed to keep this pressure up and were pinning Brentwood inside their own 22. A driving maul was set up and charged over the line, with Sullivan Snr being credited with the try. The conversion was missed, but Manor were ahead for the first time in the game.

Unfortunately, though, they were unable to hold onto their lead. They continued to push players forward but Brentwood defended well and hit Manor on the counter attack, winning two quick penalties. The second was in range for their kicker and he took the chance to edge his side back in front at 21-19 with two minutes to go.

Defeat leaves Manor seventh in the London 1 North table having won half of their 10 games. Next up for them is a visit to Old Priorians this Saturday.