Leyton Orient had to settle for a share of the spoils against League One rivals Wigan in front of another big crowd at Brisbane Road.

Richie Wellens made four changes to his starting line-up, after Tuesday's 1-0 loss to Lincoln City, while summer signing Dan Agyei was included in the squad for the first time having recovered from injury.

But the hosts conceded a penalty in the very first minute when Sol Brynn brought down Sean Clare in the box and was shown a yellow card, only to get a reprieve as Stephen Humphrys fired his spot-kick against a post.

Jordan Brown had a shot blocked at the other end, while Sam Tickle was quickly off his line to deny Ruel Sotiriou when he looked to break through.

Tickle held onto Joe Pigott's header, following Theo Archibald's cross, on nine minutes and grabbed another centre from the Scot at the second attempt.

Archibald fired just over after playing a one-two with Brown, before Ed Turns and Dan Happe denied Humphrys and Clare.

And O's took the lead on 18 minutes when some nice link-up play ended with Sotiriou nudging the ball through to Forde to fire into the top corner.

Forde sent another chance just wide moments later, before Pigott picked up the home side's second booking of the day.

Tickle tipped away a long-range effort from Archibald on the half-hour mark, with Pigott then denied by a timely intervention from Charlie Hughes as he looked to tap home Sotiriou's pass.

Tickle got behind another Pigott effort on 38 minutes, after more good link-up play with Forde, as the hosts continued to push.

But Wigan were back on terms in the second minute of injury time when Humphrys fired home from outside the box.

Pigott was denied by some excellent defending by Hughes soon after the restart, as he looked to bear down on the visiting goal, before Sotiriou broke away and won a free-kick to relieve some pressure on the home side.

Forde then looked to tee up Pigott on the hour, after Sotiriou had played him in, but Hughes was there to avert the danger for Wigan once more.

Hughes was booked for hauling down Forde on 63 minutes, conceding a free-kick right on the edge of the box. But Tom James saw his effort blocked by the Wigan defence.

Happe made a timely intervention to prevent Chris Sze tapping into an empty net midway through the half, before Rob Hunt and Aaron Drinan replaced Brandon Cooper and Pigott in a double change.

Sotiriou fired into the side netting as he lost his balance on 70 minutes, while Hunt closed down a kick from Tickle but saw the ball go behind for a goal kick.

Hunt picked up Orient's fourth yellow card of the game soon after, with Archibald having his name taken moments later.

Sotiriou and Forde made way for George Moncur and debutant Agyei seven minutes from time, with the newcomer winning a free-kick almost immediately.

James fired into Wigan's defensive wall, before Drinan played in Agyei and his shot was blocked by Hughes as it ended all square.

Leyton Orient: Brynn, James, Turns, Happe, Brown, Pigott (Drinan 67), Sotiriou (Moncur 83), Archibald, Cooper (Hunt 67), El Mizouni, Forde (Agyei 83).

Unused subs: Howes, Pratley, Galbraith. 

Attendance: 8,517 (including 1,115 Wigan fans).